Monday, October 1, 2012

Life on the Danube


Classes are going really well. I'm really starting to love the subject of mathematics a lot more. The professors here are all great and very enthusiastic. I definitely don't think that this is going to stop me from pursuing anthroplogy for grad school, but it does open up my eyes to how I can use mathematics in the field of anthropology, and also that I may want to do some work with mathematics outside of anthropology in the future. I'm considering maybe also working as a tutor or a math team coach at a local highschool. I feel like there is a lot that I can do with my knowledge in mathematics as a second supporting job. 
I am really starting to fall in love with the city of Budapest. I have always felt as strong connection to rivers, and I love that the Danube runs right through Budapest (dividing the city into two cities, Buda and Pest). I love how close everything is, the great public transport, the wide variety of things to do (operas, bars, hookah bars, clubs, public baths, festivals, sites to see, places to work out/ run, zoos, etc) and all of it is fairly inexpensive! I don't know how realistic it is, but at some point in the future I would love to return to Budapest and possibly study the culture here more deeply. I will be keeping my eyes open for anthropological research projects that may involve Budapest in the future. 
One of my main tasks in visiting Hungary was to try and visit the town of Molidorf. This town no longer exists, but its ruins hold the remains of many of my ancestors. Molidorf was actually a German concentration camp in the years after WWII. I have read a lot about it from the site Molidorf.com. I think that it is important for me to visit Molidorf and honor my ancestors there, but sadly I do not think that this is possible. I have done much research on Molidorf and found that it is located in a very very small town on Serbia. The only way that I could make it down there would be to take a train to the border and then find someone to drive me from the border to Molidorf. This, however, seems very difficult. The price of having someone driving me the two hours there, stay with me during my visit for a couple hours, and then drive me back would cost me hundreds of dollars. I have also found that the ruins of Molidorf are located on an abandoned field, and the roads to access this field are hard and at times nonexistent. I would need a tractor or a large truck to be able to access the ruins. Entering Serbia would be very dangerous to me seeing as the US was at war with Serbia just ten years ago and there are still very negative feelings there towards Americans. Also, the field that I would be entering in wooded and used for hunting during this time of year. Because of that, I would be putting myself at high risk by both entering Serbia and by entering the field to visit the ruins. I have not completely rulled out all ways for me to enter Serbia, but at this point it's looking like it is very unlikely that I will be able to make it. With winter coming soon, my only real chance to make it during this trip is within the next few weeks. After that, the roads will become even more treacherous. I will be keeping my eyes open for any opportunity, but visiting Molidorf may have to be delayed to a later point in my life when maybe the situation has changed such that there are more ways to enter Molidorf during a different season of the year when hunting will not be such a large issue. 
I have really been enjoying my time here in Budapest. It has reminded me in many was that I am Hungarian and I should be proud of that. I have fallen in love with this city, and with this city I have begun to be more confident in myself and my heritage. Even though I have greatly enjoyed my time thus far, I must admit that I do really miss a lot of people from back home. I miss my boyfriend Dante so much that it's at times hard to bare. I miss my family and my friends. I miss being at Lawrence (my university). I miss american food and being able to cook more of the meals that I love so much. I miss my friends. I'm sad that I won't be able to see one of my closest friends Brian Kopas before he leaves to join the military on December 3rd. I'm sad that I'm missing the welcoming of all of the new students to Lawrence University- international and domestic. I'm missing so many events, like Michelle Obama coming and speaking at my university, many dances, and performances. I'm not an RLA (Resident Life Advisor) now because I'm here studying abroad. At times all of the things that I'm missing can really pull me down... but honestly I wouldn't change a thing. I love Budapest and I love this opportunity for me to be here and experience a different culture. I love my classes and my new friends here. I also remember that everything I'm missing now will be there when I return. My friends and family, Dante, the new students, more dances and performances, possibly being chosen to be an RLA again, etc. All of these opportunities will still be there when I return to the states and to Lawrence. Because of that, I'm going to work hard to not let these things pull me down and I'm going to make the best of my time here in Hungary. I know that things are just going to get harder, but that I am strong enough to make it through them. I'm really glad that I have you all reading this, and that I can type out my feelings to you guys. It would be nice to get a few comments every now and then guys =P. 
I love you all, and I miss you. I will be home shortly, and then I'll have so many more stories to tell you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment