Monday, November 19, 2012

Mosbach



That last post was much longer than I had intended, so this one may be shorter... or I may get into writing it and it'll be just as long.

This past weekend (the 16th -18th of November), I went to visit my cousin Janet and her husband Henrik in Mosbach, Germany- a small town between Stuttgart and Frankfurt. I have not been able to spend much time with either since I was a little kid because they are about ten years older than me and have been living a lot of the past 5+ years in Europe. I was there for their wedding, but never really got to know Henrik. I have never really gotten to know Janet that well either. The age gap between her and I was/is huge and I simply could not relate to a lot of what she was doing. After my visit to Mosbach, though, I feel much closer to both of them. Henrik is a great guy who really cares for my cousin. They both seem very happy in their little town working for OM (http://www.om.org/), and I am so happy for both of them.

The actual traveling in my trip was very long and hectic- consisting of multiple trains/ buses to the airport, the plane, and then even more trains to Mosbach. On the way home, I missed my train, and had to rush to buy another ticket. Even with all of this, the weekend overall was very calm and relaxing. The first night there we had an amazing dinner using this grill called a Raclette (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raclette). We had beef, chicken, sausage, corn, pineapple, tomatoes, potatoes, onions, many different types of cheese, and so much more. We chose what we wanted, put it in this little pan, covered it with cheese and backed in on the Raclette until it was done. It was delicious! I haven't eaten that much meat in a long time! (Meat in Budapest is expensive and not of the best quality) We then stay up talking and watched Anastasia- one of my favorite Disney movies.

The next day, we walked around the town and saw the market place. The town really looked like it had just popped out of a fairy tale. All of the buildings looked like gingerbread homes. I bought a couple gifts for friends, post cards for my collection, and a pomegranate (lol, I know. In Germany? They looked so good, and they are never good in Budapest). We came home, ate lunch, and tried to make plans for the day. There really wasn't much to do around, and the closest castle would be closed before we could reach it, so we went for a walk, and on the way visited an UGLY furniture store (it was like four stories tall, mustard yellow, with a picture of what looked like the Serre's Tower on it- such an eyesore) and stopped to pick up a board game, Quirkle, and some gluten free muffin mix. We came home, played Quirkle, baked some muffins, ordered some thai dinner, talked, watched a movie, and relaxed. It incredible. I have not been able to relax like that in a long time.

I left around one on Sunday, after breakfast, a short hike and dinner with the family. Henrik has really become a part of the family in my mind. He is just like another cousin now, and I'm so happy to have gotten to know both him and Janet better. On the train ride home, I actually passed the castle we were suppose to go and see, as well as like four others. The views were stunning, and the people were all very sweet. I never thought of it before, but maybe I will consider living in Germany in the future. Everyone seemed very happy and it is a beautiful country. Who knows? It's possible.

See! That was shorter! :P The next blog will be a math based one... but I'm gonna take a break for now. Maybe a nap is in order. I love you all, and miss you dearly. I look forward to coming home and seeing you all again for the Christmas season and with school starting up. Take care!

No comments:

Post a Comment